Calligra (Sheets) program icon inconsistencies

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Wed May 9 15:24:48 BST 2012

On 9 May 2012 16:02, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau <kossebau at kde.org> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 9. Mai 2012, 10:55:11 schrieb Jaroslaw Staniek:
>> On 2 May 2012 16:10, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau <kossebau at kde.org> wrote:
>> > ((__General icon/logo (style) mismatch between programs and website__))
>> >
>> > But:
>> > looking at the icon (names) of the other Calligra programs I also wonder:
>> >
>> > Why does the Words program icon have a new/other style than e.g. Stage and
>> > Sheets? Are there no updated icons for Stage and Sheets as well?
>> >
>> > And why again do all icons look different from the program icons/logo on
>> > http://calligra.org/ ?
>>
>> 1. Could you explain by showing a screenshot? All the icons should be
>> already updated. If you found old name somewhere, then sure you can
>> update it.
>> If you asked about a small K inside of icons, I removed them and sent
>> result to Cyrille long ago.
>
> The Ks have indeed vanished from the icons used on the frontpage, but not from
> the icons on the individuel product pages, see
> calligra.org/{words,sheets,krita,...}.

+1 for replacing, Cyrille has fixed files, someone needs to blit the
new icon on these compositions; (please declare today)

> And then compare these icons to the ones currently used in the sources
> (attached for quick access).

+1 for replacing, Cyrille has them (high quality SVGs), feel free to
ask me tonight so I can resend in required formats.

>> Summing up, no need to ask for artists except for maybe brainstorm
>> icon which was my quick attempt.
>
> ? As I understood from boemann's and Cyrille's replies there indeed is work
> done to get an updated set of icons for all programs, at least the
> forked/moved ones.

- For forked ones - (this is only KWord->Words?) - maybe. But please some
confirm this is part of the agreement (if not I recommend doing
nothing and just wait for koffice counterparts fade away completely)

- For moved ones - fixed versions exist as stated above.

> And Cyrille wants to fix any inconsistencies between website and code in one
> go once the new icons are done.

>> 2. Regarding application logos - we have no logos and I don't know any
>> plans for them. Please note, logo != icon.
>
> Yes, that is why I said both logo and icon :) Given all the variety I was
> never sure which one is considered to be an icon and which is perhaps a logo.
>
> E.g. the package-like pictures for all the products on the frontpage of
> calligra.org looked to me like a logo, not like image of a package with an
> icon inside.

This is artistic vision for a banner, actually from me. Inside the 'package'
graphics there are real (and current) fixed icons. We have only
calligra logo, and in KOffice times we had (never loved) (K) logos for
apps.

We never used these logos a lot in any materials (and apple/ms does not use
them). We had stickers... I consider (K) logos a disaster because
fundamental mistake
related to logos being all too similar - 'overdesigned'. Kexi logo
looks at the moment like a 'don't go' or 'close' sign if you ask
people around.

> But from your reply I learned that there are no logos at all, so will never
> talk about logos again :)

Cool, one thing fixed :)
We can keep promoting one Calligra logo - should be engough. From now
on I propose to include it in every related blog entry (!).

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek