Disabling Marble map shape for 2.4?

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Sat Mar 17 20:50:39 GMT 2012

Hi,

can anybody seriously use the Marble/Map shape (both 2.4 and master)? I tried
to use it, e.g. to create an invitation with the map to show how to reach the
meeting point. But I find the shape not yet ready for prime time:
* no (obvious?) way to remove the info boxes (compass, scalebar, ...)
* zooming the view also changes the selection of what is shown in the shape
* always crashes after a few editions of the map properties
* UI in general is not really intuitive,

Having that in this state in 2.4 might leave a bad impression to Calligra
overall, as quite a few people might try this feature, as it makes a
difference to similar software.
And while the Marble shape is a nice example for the concept/power of shapes,
the current experience shadows all the things which actually work nicely.

So okay to commit the attached patch which simply disables the map shape from
the build?

I fear I will try to improve the map shape for 2.5, somebody actually already
created a branch on my harddisk, oh dear... ;)

Cheers
Friedrich

PS: What would be your usecases for the map shape? In slides, a document, a
mindmap, ...? Which workflow would you expect, after you dropped the shape?
Just that I do not only work on what I would like it to be :)

PPS: Has there been any discussion about the future of the specific shape tool
option widget vs. the KoShapeConfigWidgetBase approach? To me it is not quite
clear which to use when. And at least with KoShapeConfigWidgetBase I already
have an issue, but more on that another time.