Regarding Proposal

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Fri Mar 16 08:56:27 GMT 2012

On 16 March 2012 09:46, jigar raisinghani <jigarraisinghani at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>        I am extremely sorry for confusing the developer community because of
> the word "PROJECT". What i meant in my past mail by the words "NOT MY ACTUAL
> GSOC PROPOSAL" was that this is not the idea/Project which i would like to
> pursue under GSOC 2012. I am currently working on implementing PIVOT TABLES
> in Calligra Sheets which i would like to take up under GSOC 2012. I am in
> touch with Marijn Kruisselbrink regarding PIVOT TABLES and i have requested
> him to mentor me for the same. I guess the need for Pivot Tables is more
> than extending  "Shapes"(what i had proposed). Moreover i love the concept
> of Pivot Tables, so i have been constantly reading about Pivot Tables as to
> what all functionalities should be included and how they would be
> implemented in Sheets by going through the Calligra Sheets Source Code. I
> have gone through the previous & sample GSOC proposals and i do realize the
> importance of timeline. I promise to have a proper timeline for PIVOT
> TABLES' proposal. I have been working on my proposal to make it the best
> possible.
>
> Note, this does not mean that i am not very serious about my proposal
> regarding Words and Sheets. I would surely give my best efforts to make it
> possible. The only reason why i did not come up with a timeline was because
> i was not very sure of how much time i would be left with because i am
> working on PIVOT TABLES. I am pretty passionate about getting PIVOT TABLES
> implemented first and also there is a need for it.  If time permits during
> GSOC, i would also been keen to implement this idea but in the worst case, i
> would be ALL FOR IT after GSOC. I am currently pursuing my BTech and would
> be busy till April. But we have a 3 months long summer break starting from
> May1 and as i would be in my final year(next semester) i would be relatively
> very free. So i would be able to devote my time towards getting proposal
> regarding Sheets and Tables materialize. I promise to come up with
> implementation details for the same before i start working on it. As of now
> and for GSOC, i would like to concentrate on PIVOT TABLES.
>
> The reason why i sent across my proposal was to get a review as to does a
> need exist for the same and if possible get a better alternative or method
> of implementing the idea. The purpose was to get a clear target as to what
> needs to be achieved. I guess sending it out got to me many(better) ideas
> regarding the same.
>
> Jaroslaw, i like the challenge. i remember doing somewhat(not very sure)
> similar stuff in one of my projects using JAVA. It basically involved
> fetching data from POSTGRE server using JDBC(Java DataBase Connectivity) and
> represent the data using JTables. Well i would surely try to figure a way
> out as to how could it be done in Calligra.

Jigar,
Cool, that's normal - many ideas, food for thought :_)

To add even more spice here - pivot tables for database apps (Kexi)
are really appealing (but I think reuse of Sheets pivot tables would
be rather limited because of different data models and requirements -
spreadsheets usually have all the data in memory already). Another
challenge :)

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek