Regarding Proposal

jigar raisinghani jigarraisinghani at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 08:46:43 GMT 2012

Hi
       I am extremely sorry for confusing the developer community because
of the word "PROJECT". What i meant in my past mail by the words "NOT MY
ACTUAL GSOC PROPOSAL" was that this is not the idea/Project which i would
like to pursue under GSOC 2012. I am currently working on implementing
PIVOT TABLES in Calligra Sheets which i would like to take up under GSOC
2012. I am in touch with Marijn Kruisselbrink regarding PIVOT TABLES and i
have requested him to mentor me for the same. I guess the need for Pivot
Tables is more than extending  "Shapes"(what i had proposed). Moreover i
love the concept of Pivot Tables, so i have been constantly reading about
Pivot Tables as to what all functionalities should be included and how they
would be implemented in Sheets by going through the Calligra Sheets Source
Code. I have gone through the previous & sample GSOC proposals and i do
realize the importance of timeline. I promise to have a proper timeline for
PIVOT TABLES' proposal. I have been working on my proposal to make it the
best possible.

Note, this does not mean that i am not very serious about my proposal
regarding Words and Sheets. I would surely give my best efforts to make it
possible. The only reason why i did not come up with a timeline was because
i was not very sure of how much time i would be left with because i am
working on PIVOT TABLES. I am pretty passionate about getting PIVOT TABLES
implemented first and also there is a need for it.  If time permits during
GSOC, i would also been keen to implement this idea but in the worst case,
i would be ALL FOR IT after GSOC. I am currently pursuing my BTech and
would be busy till April. But we have a 3 months long summer break starting
from May1 and as i would be in my final year(next semester) i would be
relatively very free. So i would be able to devote my time towards getting
proposal regarding Sheets and Tables materialize. I promise to come up with
implementation details for the same before i start working on it. As of now
and for GSOC, i would like to concentrate on PIVOT TABLES.

The reason why i sent across my proposal was to get a review as to does a
need exist for the same and if possible get a better alternative or method
of implementing the idea. The purpose was to get a clear target as to what
needs to be achieved. I guess sending it out got to me many(better) ideas
regarding the same.

Jaroslaw, i like the challenge. i remember doing somewhat(not very sure)
similar stuff in one of my projects using JAVA. It basically involved
fetching data from POSTGRE server using JDBC(Java DataBase Connectivity)
and represent the data using JTables. Well i would surely try to figure a
way out as to how could it be done in Calligra.

Cheers
Jigar Raisinghani