Using the Tables brand/trade name for a spreadsheet application

Stuart Dickson stuart.dickson at kogmbh.com
Wed Mar 7 15:03:57 GMT 2012

On 07/03/2012 14:46, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 March 2012 Mar, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
>> On 7 March 2012 15:10, Sebastian Sauer<mail at dipe.org>  wrote:
>>
>>> The Abacus Spreadsheet Formula compiler:
>>> http://code.google.com/p/formulacompiler/
>>> from the Abacus Research AG (1985-today):
>>> http://www.formulacompiler.org/download/abacus.htm
>>>
>>> I really think we should not rename to Abacus if we do not plan to make some
>>> lawyers even more rich.
>> This is going insane if we go this way (Thorsten, please don't click! ;) ):
>>
>> http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/28956/presentation-stage
>>
>> Abacus is as common term as Spreadsheet. Of course so do Windows is...
> But abacus isn't descriptive of what calligra tables is. The application is not an abacus; it's a spreadsheet. And that makes a lot of difference.

I was wondering whether Calligra "Columns" would be reasonable - given
that spreadsheets tend to comprise columns of data?

Or does this run into confusion, similar to Tables verses tables (in Words)?
I'm sure it must have already been suggested/discussed/discounted?

--
Stuart Dickson
// KO GmbH http://kogmbh.com/legal/