Using the Tables brand/trade name for a spreadsheet application

Arpit Srivastava sunnyarpit123 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 14:19:43 GMT 2012

Hello :)

I've never really said anything here before, though I do follow the
conversations and try to learn. Hope to actually become an active
contributor in the near future.

I'll throw in my suggestions:-
*
*
*@ Calligra Enum* ( Enumerate - also e(lectronic)-numerate :P )
[ There's only some PC Power Management software ( EnUM:
http://www.varyc.com/enum.html), that goes by that name ]
-- As it contains "num", new users of the suite would instantly recognize
that it must be something along the lines of Excel.

*@ Calligra Tabulate (Tab?): *As the name's just been turned into its verb
form, users would probably have no problem in finding the application they
are looking for. (They might not even notice the change!)

Besides, I doubt if most people read (or, type in the search bar) beyond
the first three letters :)

[ There only seems to be an iOS app, related to a book on "Agile Planning".
http://dpatrickcaldwell.blogspot.in/2009/03/tabulate.html  ]

*@ Calligra Numero! : *Well....there's Krita. So... ;)
[ There's a SaaS company (deals with social media, customer management etc
software  - http://www.thisisnumero.com/about-us/) ]

*@ Calligra Actuary: *I know, it's probably wrong to use the word 'actuary'
over here, as spreadsheet software can be used for much more. Thought it
sounded nice though.
[ I didn't find any app with this name, though a company owns
"Actuarialsoftware.com" ]

*@ Calligra Cypher/Cipher: *By cipher/cypher, I refer to its older meaning
- zeros.

It's likely to be mistaken as some cryptography software though, I think. :(
Could a word meaning  'zero' ...err...discourage people from using it? (
Any Psychology experts? ;) )

*@Calligra Mensa:  *Literally means 'table'
Any chance the famous organization for people with high IQ, might get
angry? 0_0

*@Calligra Sankhya:* 'Sankhya' ( roughly pronounced as "Son - Khia" ) means
"Number" in Sanskrit/Hindi. A reference to the Indo-Arabic numerals we use
today?

Disadvantage - Most people wouldn't know the meaning of the name. ( Though
'Ubuntu managed fine... )

*@Calligra Board / Sheets: *( *awkward* )...Maybe not.

That's all I could think of, for now.

Best,