Background tool & page background setting

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Tue Jun 5 14:40:02 BST 2012

Am Montag, 4. Juni 2012, 20:35:41 schrieb Friedrich W. H. Kossebau:
> Am Montag, 4. Juni 2012, 18:16:36 schrieb t.zachmann at zagge.de:
> > Hello,
> >
> > setting the background in stage and flow is possible when the background
> > tool is selected by changing the fill in the styles docker. Do you have
> > some ideas on making this more discoverable?
>
> In the "styles" docker? Cannot even discover that one :)

I have been puzzled for a while what is meant with "styles docker", especially
as the code of the background tool does not really help here, the only hint is
the line

QLabel dummy4( i18n("Use the styles docker to manipulate the background.") );

in KoPABackgroundTool::createOptionWidgets(...), though this label never makes
it to the UI, because "dummy4" is not done anything with. Okay to commit
attached patch?

Finally I discovered that styles docker is the "Stroke and Fill" docker,
alright. And even managed to use it to change the color. But indeed there are
some issues, especially related to discoverability:

* the mouse cursor is the "forbidden area" cursor over the page all the time,
which to me looks like the tool is not operating on the page.

* the "Stroke and Fill" docker does not disable the setting for the stroke
property, which is puzzling, as there is no stroke with the background.

* the preview of the "Stroke and Fill" docker does not pick up the current
color/gradient of the paper background

* the gradient tool cannot be used to control a gradient on the background,
and no other way seems possible

* "Use master background" is not obvious in what it does. Especially as the
"Stroke and Fill" docker is not disabled if that option is checked, so the
original background of the page can still be modified accidently

Feature wish:
* would be nice to be able to "Set background image" also from scanner

Has that been discussed somewhere already and the results been noted? Or would
we start from scratch?

Cheers
Friedrich