Really missing icons in C 2.5

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Mon Jul 23 13:22:17 BST 2012

Am Sonntag, 22. Juli 2012, 21:46:06 schrieb Jaroslaw Staniek:
> On 22 July 2012 21:05, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau <kossebau at kde.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > so after another review of the missing icons, where I managed to find
> > solutions for some (see e.g. today's small patch flood :) ), this email
> > now
> > might have the final list of icons which are definitely missing for
> > Calligra (2.5 and surely also master).
> >
> > Missing icons can be grouped into:
> > a) chart types
> > b) clef types for the music shape (+ icon for shape)
> > c) formula symbols
> > d) actions for layers
> > e) guide addition options
> > f) snap to boundingbox
> > g) tools
> > (and of course new Calligra-specific app icons are also TODO)
>
> My digression:
>
> I'm dealing with similar need for more than decade now. One of the
> answers is: not every action needs an icon. I especially found it hard
> to recognize certain align/group actions if there are many in a row
> (in a toolbar or a sidebar or menu). So there may be a problem given
> unlimited access to icon designers.
>
> That said, "Actions without icons" approach may require alterations in
> the overall GUI design (compare KMail GUI with GMail to know what I
> mean).
>
> That was the digression.
>
> Minimal work that can be done now is: keep cleanly defined groups of
> actions, separate them cleanly. Fortunately we're there in many cases
> already thanks to the sidebars.

Yes :)

Only pity: the big majority of the icons in the missing list are not for
actions, but used as symbolic representatives of objects or types (chart type,
clef type, formula symbols, tools), where a picture says more than 1000 words,
is quicker to identify and uses less real estate on the screen.
And the others icons are almost all used in the GUI where text as substitute
would spoil the design and bloat the interface. Only the icons for "actions
for layers" might be avoidable, as they are in menus, so along with text. Will
see to come up with patches to skip using icons here.

So seems all of the icons (except layer action ones) are really needed.

Cheers
Friedrich