RC readiness, not

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Fri Jul 13 14:54:49 BST 2012

Am Donnerstag, 12. Juli 2012, 17:06:51 schrieb C. Boemann:
> On Thursday 12 July 2012 16:46:34 Cyrille Berger Skott wrote:
> > On Thursday 12 Jul 2012, C. Boemann wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > We still have two release blockers, so it would seem we need another
> > > week
> > > before RC tagging
> >
> > That would be very inconvenient for me. I guess there is the possibility
> > for me to tag on wednesday and let someone else handle the remain of the
> > release process, or wait an extra two weeks.
>
> I think we should wait two weeks then

I would agree to that. IMHO at least Words is not really good enough for a RC.
It's not just that after a roundtrip the ODF v1.1 document changes it's number
of pages from 759 to 737 (making my eyes roll :)).

It's that in general the native format is not yet correctly supported. Not
offering things in the UI is one thing, but changing/deleting/polluting data
without a warning is another, no? Especially if the issues are known.

I have not written any bug reports about the issues I have seen, because so
far my time was spent with success at directly writing fixes :) But there is
still a lot to be done. Just take a look at ODF parts of the calligratests.
And those are just testing if the written format is validating, they do not
test if the content is being kept (AFAIK).

Wouldn't you agree that if PROJECT_OFFICE releases programs for ODF which
write garbage or/and kill data they should be ashamed? :)

I know that sucks for parts of Calligra which might be release-fine for some
time already (guess Krita is), but Words as _the_ office program needs more
time (and your work).

Currently I try to fix the broken manifest writing or rather the broken
subdocument/object handling. That will be a bigger fix, and I also still have
not yet a complete picture how subdocuments are handled ATM and where what
needs fixing, but I am progressing. Perhaps done over the WE, at least as
first review request.

Is that broken? Yes, just see most of the failing ODF-based calligratests
documents. Or try yourself to have Calligra (Words, but that is shared code)
even crash on stuff it wrote itself: Do a roundtrip on
calligratests/interoperability/wordprocessing/oowriter/oow_embeded_drawing.odt
then load the result -> boom (Yes, going now to write a bug report about that,
so it's also in your eyes and not just my mind :) ).

IMHO: as long as e.g. there are ODF documents failing in the testsuite on
features which are not announced to the user as unsupported, there should be
no release. Remember, baby trees have to die for brown paper-bags ;)

Come on, Calligra Words really should be able to load and save the ODF spec
files without any issues to be proud of itself, no?

Cheers
Friedrich