overflow-behavior with text boxes: clip does not clip?

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Sat Feb 25 12:34:07 GMT 2012

Hi,

I expected "style:overflow-behavior" set to "clip" with no minimum size set to
result in text which does not fit in a draw:text-box to be clipped, i.e. not
shown. But instead text is also rendered outside of the text box (see attached
screenshot).

Is that a bug or a feature?

>From the spec:
> If the style:overflow-behavior attribute value is auto-create-new-frame and
the text box has a minimum width or height specified the text box will grow as
long as there is space left on the page. If no space is left, a new frame will
be created on the next page, with the same position and dimensions of the
original frame.
> The defined values for the style:overflow-behavior attribute are:
> ●clip: text that does not fit into a text box is not displayed.
> ●auto-create-new-frame: a new frame will be created on the next page, with
the same position and dimensions of the original frame.

* See http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.2/os/OpenDocument-v1.2-os-
part1.html#property-style_overflow-behavior

If it is a bug, what I think it is, where would I have to look to fix it? And
proposals how to do that?

And how would you propose to mark in the editor display that there is more
text which is not shown? IIRC some programs had a symbol in the middle handler
rectangle in the bottem ( a + or \/ symbol, cmp. again the attachment). As I
find those hard to see, making the handle wider might be also an option,
somehow matching the state "more content here". Such handler states could also
be used for all other clipped objects, like pixmaps, to show off there is
actually more content, just not displayed.

And clicking that handler resulted in the textbox expanding to the bottom as
much as possible/needed. Might be a nice feature to add as another step.

Cheers
Friedrich