An other beta

Algot Runeman algot.runeman at verizon.net
Sun Feb 12 16:32:19 GMT 2012

On 02/12/2012 04:57 AM, C. Boemann wrote:
> I've read everything all has said.
>
> On Irc ingwa and sven made it clear that not releasing Words is not an option
> (would be the firsy suite without a wordprocessor)
>
> I personally can not accept releasing for real a wordprocessor that is TP
> status. We already do that, and mixing it into the final release will mean we
> will have to explain that , which detracts from the pr message. It's simply a
> no-go.
>
> After some thoughts it's also a no-go to remove undo functionality.
>
> What is lacking is the undo working good enough that it doesn't leave the app
> in a broken state. Also Boudewijn needs to complete his xml:id work so we
> don't save invalid xml.
>
> On 19th to 22nd I'll be in Munich at Pierre's place where we will try and fix
> the undo. And yes it's major surgery, with somewhat uncertain outcome, but I
> hope we will be ready by friday 24th.
>
> This is the point in time where we will know for sure. I like Thorsten's idea
> to release that beta and then to do the release no matter what. Looking back
> at our track record of fixing things that should be doable.
>
> My concern is actually more any new release_blockers appearing. However undo
> is the last big area we are looking into, so I think we won't find anything.
>
> I do agree that our first release has taken a lot of time and is straining
> everybody's patience. However building a completely new wordprocessor in just
> a little more than one year is not dragging our feet. I actually don't think
> our schedules has slipped either. We have decided to do regular and fast paced
> alphas and betas. I agreed to that because it was needed to keep the developer
> spirit high, but to call it slippage because that results in many betas is
> unfair. We have been working very hard and it was always the agreement that we
> would release when ready. Building a completely new word processor is
> obviously going to take time. Along the way we found more skeletons than we
> would have like in the libs we rely on, but so be it. We have done it in
> record time if you ask me so let's not lose patience so close to the release.
> It's important that we keep focusing on quality. Our betas are for developers,
> The final release should be for users
>
> Once 2.4 is out our next releases (both bug fix and feature releases) should
> come much quicker. At that point release often is important, as everything we
> do from then on are improvements.
>
> So plan of action:
> soon boudewijn fixes the xml:id
> 19th-22nd minisprint to fix undo
> 24th tagging next beta
> in short succession thereafter we do the release

I am "eager" to see and try Calligra. I'm a user.
I am not eager to see a Calligra that is not ready for me, a user.
It isn't as if I'm living without any options. For now, LibreOffice is
my choice.

If a broken Calligra came out, I'm sure the critics would jump all over
it. Developers would be jeered.
All the working parts of the suite would be tarnished by the broken parts.
If it needs more work, do it. I can wait for a working tool.

Thank you all for your efforts.
--Algot

--
Algot Runeman