Making dbus optional in Calligra

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Wed Feb 8 14:56:35 GMT 2012

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 3:45 PM, Jaroslaw Staniek <staniek at kde.org> wrote:

> >> What's you opinion - where is QtMobility in this which has the same
> >> purpose?
> >> If possible - we sure do not want to have this as KDE-only thing.
> >

> > Are you talking about the Publish/subscribe API? He did not mention
> > anything.
>
> This but also the service framework wraps dbus services:
> http://doc.qt.nokia.com/qtmobility/qtserviceframework.htm
> http://doc.qt.nokia.com/qtmobility-1.2/service-frameworks.html
>
> +it's ported
> http://doc.qt.nokia.com/qtmobility-1.2/index.html#platform-compatibility

Would this allow Qt applications to use DBus services (Secret Service,
MPRIS, etc) without a dbus-daemon?

(I've only quickly skimmed over the documentation and it seemed like Qt
Service Framework uses QtDBus, which would talk to dbus-daemon, for DBus
services)

> The advantage of libdbusfat would be applications would not need any
> change
> > and they would still be able to use DBus, which at the moment is
> important
> > for cross-desktop interoperability. On Unix platforms, applications would
> > link to libdbus and talk to dbus-daemon. On Windows, Android, etc,
> > applications would link to libdbusfat and talk to the native IPC system.
> >
> > Of course the QtMobility Publish/Subscribe API could also implement a
> DBus
> > layer, but it would serve a different purpose (the QtMobility
> > publish/subscribe mechanism is not available from glib/gtk/EFL/etc
> AFAIK).
>
> But I am talking about Qt apps.  I am here not to make gtk/EFL work
> (this is work of particular platform developers if they care) but to
> make my apps integrated without any bloat :)

Indeed, but we need to talk the freedesktop.org protocols, which require
DBus.

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org