Making dbus optional in Calligra

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Wed Feb 8 14:45:51 GMT 2012

On 8 February 2012 13:30, Pau Garcia i Quiles <pgquiles at elpauer.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 1:20 PM, Jaroslaw Staniek <staniek at kde.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 8 February 2012 11:50, Pau Garcia i Quiles <pgquiles at elpauer.org>
>> wrote:

>> > I talked about this with Holger Schöder at FOSDEM.
>>
>> What's you opinion - where is QtMobility in this which has the same
>> purpose?
>> If possible - we sure do not want to have this as KDE-only thing.
>

> Are you talking about the Publish/subscribe API? He did not mention
> anything.

This but also the service framework wraps dbus services:
http://doc.qt.nokia.com/qtmobility/qtserviceframework.htm
http://doc.qt.nokia.com/qtmobility-1.2/service-frameworks.html

+it's ported
http://doc.qt.nokia.com/qtmobility-1.2/index.html#platform-compatibility

> The advantage of libdbusfat would be applications would not need any change
> and they would still be able to use DBus, which at the moment is important
> for cross-desktop interoperability. On Unix platforms, applications would
> link to libdbus and talk to dbus-daemon. On Windows, Android, etc,
> applications would link to libdbusfat and talk to the native IPC system.
>
> Of course the QtMobility Publish/Subscribe API could also implement a DBus
> layer, but it would serve a different purpose (the QtMobility
> publish/subscribe mechanism is not available from glib/gtk/EFL/etc AFAIK).

But I am talking about Qt apps.  I am here not to make gtk/EFL work
(this is work of particular platform developers if they care) but to
make my apps integrated without any bloat :)

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek