Making dbus optional in Calligra

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Wed Feb 8 12:30:39 GMT 2012

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 1:20 PM, Jaroslaw Staniek <staniek at kde.org> wrote:

> On 8 February 2012 11:50, Pau Garcia i Quiles <pgquiles at elpauer.org>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 3:09 PM, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> And yes, well, of course there are platform-local ways of ipc, on
> windows
> >> and android that we might want to use instead of dbus, if there is
> demand
> >> for it.
> >>

> > I talked about this with Holger Schöder at FOSDEM.
>
> What's you opinion - where is QtMobility in this which has the same
> purpose?
> If possible - we sure do not want to have this as KDE-only thing.

Are you talking about the Publish/subscribe API? He did not mention
anything.

The advantage of libdbusfat would be applications would not need any change
and they would still be able to use DBus, which at the moment is important
for cross-desktop interoperability. On Unix platforms, applications would
link to libdbus and talk to dbus-daemon. On Windows, Android, etc,
applications would link to libdbusfat and talk to the native IPC system.

Of course the QtMobility Publish/Subscribe API could also implement a DBus
layer, but it would serve a different purpose (the QtMobility
publish/subscribe mechanism is not available from glib/gtk/EFL/etc AFAIK).

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org