Making dbus optional in Calligra

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Tue Feb 7 14:23:36 GMT 2012

On 7 February 2012 15:09, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Feb 2012, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
>
>> I am not sure about the plugin idea. Plugins are good if there are
>> alternative means implemented supporting the same interface - here the
>> generic local communication.
>> Is that the case here? How about complexity that would not pay off?
>
> Compile switches tend to bitrot -- suddenly a particular option no longer
> compiles or works because nobody is actually using that option anymore.

Well, the same applies to multiple implementations of given interface, right?
Maintenance is needed as always. But cmake options are discoverable
(using ccmake);
and even with the extra interface, having the option would be handy -
no need to compile plugins that are not needed.

> And yes, well, of course there are platform-local ways of ipc, on windows
> and android that we might want to use instead of dbus, if there is demand
> for it.

QtMobility has similar layer already:
http://doc.qt.nokia.com/qtmobility/qtserviceframework.html
http://doc.qt.nokia.com/qtmobility-1.2/service-frameworks.html