Officially supported platform (Was: Re: [calligra] /: Move the external library kdchart from the chart shape to 3rdparty/.)

Cyrille Berger Skott cberger at cberger.net
Fri Dec 21 11:02:47 GMT 2012

On Thursday 20 Dec 2012, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2012, Cyrille Berger Skott wrote:
> > Currently Linux is our only officially supported platform, this is why
> > build issues (and other critical issues) on Linux become release
> > blockers. Windows and Mac OSX support is still considered work in
> > progress and experimental. Hopefully it will change some time in the
> > future.
>
> Well, given that we've got a build bot on windows and build packages for
> all the releases, I'd say we should upgrade the status of Windows as a
> supported platform.

I agree I think we should for next release. But I am also puzzled why a last
minute source code refactor is needed then.

> > But we also have to take into considerations some pratical aspects, like
> > 95% of developers and "master" testers are using linux at the moment,
> > which means errors are caught very quickly on Linux, and this is not the
> > case for Windows/Mac OSX, it also means that a huge refactor is usually
> > not necesserary to solve build issues on Linux. And before we consider
> > Windows/Mac OSX, the build on those platform need to stabilize and we
> > would need to find practical solutions to the lack of testing problem,
> > like nightly/continuous build on build.kde.org.
>
> http://build.kde.org/job/calligra_master_win32/

Last one is December, 5th. And I guess we would need it for release branch. An
alternative is to have a release day freeze/compile party, and on that day
"platform maintainers" build calligra from scratch and report the result to
the release coordinator. But that require some heavy synchronization work.

--
Cyrille Berger Skott