Officially supported platform (Was: Re: [calligra] /: Move the external library kdchart from the chart shape to 3rdparty/.)

Cyrille Berger Skott cberger at cberger.net
Thu Dec 20 12:22:07 GMT 2012

On Tuesday 18 Dec 2012, C. Boemann wrote:
> But I would still say that in general we should be a bit more accepting of
> minority OSes. Had it been a build issue, and had it been on linux, we
> would have called it a release_blocker and what not, but on windows, or
> OSX it's not?
>
> I don't have any reason myself to care for these OSes except that if we
> ever want to be taken serious on them we shouldn't dismiss issues as
> easily as that. It doesn't send a welcoming message to potential
> developers and users on those platforms.

Currently Linux is our only officially supported platform, this is why build
issues (and other critical issues) on Linux become release blockers. Windows
and Mac OSX support is still considered work in progress and experimental.
Hopefully it will change some time in the future.

But we also have to take into considerations some pratical aspects, like 95%
of developers and "master" testers are using linux at the moment, which means
errors are caught very quickly on Linux, and this is not the case for
Windows/Mac OSX, it also means that a huge refactor is usually not necesserary
to solve build issues on Linux. And before we consider Windows/Mac OSX, the
build on those platform need to stabilize and we would need to find practical
solutions to the lack of testing problem, like nightly/continuous build on
build.kde.org.

--
Cyrille Berger Skott