UI idea: Turn the status bar into a docker (or several dockers)

C. Boemann cbo at boemann.dk
Fri Aug 31 09:29:29 BST 2012

On Friday 31 August 2012 09:32:04 Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Thursday 30 August 2012 Aug, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> > I'm starting to think that a general "layout configuration mode" switch
> > like in Amarok may be useful for Calligra in general (however it should
> > be less hidden then in Amarok, I guess). I don't think users want to
> > move dockers so often that clicking a button to switch between the modes
> > before and afterward would be too much of a burden. In the layout
> > configuration mode, any docker could be dragged from any point (not just
> > the title bars). In the normal mode, no docker could be dragged anymore.
> > Do you guys happen to know how often users rearrange their dockers? If
> > they don't do it all the time, a mode switch would probably be useful,
> > since it increases consistency and prevents accidental moving.
>
> I think it would happen more in Krita than in other applications, because
> we have a number of specialized dockers. Though looking at the available
> video's doesn't really substantiate that hunch.
>
> I've cc'ed the kimageshop mailing list, so our core user group can give
> their opinion: how often do you move dockers about?
>
> (There's one occasion where I change the layout of the dockers about a bit,
> and that's the tool option docker which sometimes needs to be higher and
> sometimes can be less high.)
I think where it would happen more often in krita (and I have this hunch as
well) is with floating dockers and making the float or not.

If as suggested in a previous mail we don't remove title bars for dockers even
when locked then it would still be possible to make them float, and if on top
of that floating dockers are always draggable then it might work for krita
users as well