Parameters to filters

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Aug 23 11:55:07 BST 2012

On Thursday 23 August 2012 Aug, Inge Wallin wrote:

> While this is good for default values when a value *has* to be provided, it's
> perhaps not so good for values that are optional.  Consider (syntax is not
> finalized of course):
>
> # calligraconverter --parameter:cover-image=./cover.svg book.odt book.epub
>
> Now, if cover-image is not given the next time the converter is run, it means
> "do not put a cover image in the file" rather than "use the same cover image
> as the last time".
>
> And even if it was a setting we still need to provide a way to set the value
> the first time so we still need to parse command line options.

Well, you can always provide a different config file without a cover, of course.

> Ah, so the filters open the dialog.

Yes, but that's true for all calligra filters -- if they need settings, they show a dialog.

> How do you handle --batch?

By not showing the dialog, and for krita, restoring the values from the config file, for the rest of calligra, default values are used.

> The properties class seems useful. But I seem to remember something called
> KoProperties... Is that more or less the same? Or what is that used for.

Sort of similar, but not compatible with the way Krita works. It offers a generic property setting gui, while Krita shows custom dialogs for everything. KoProperty is only used in Kexi and Plan.

--
Boudewijn Rempt