Review Request: rename "import" action to "open as new"

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Aug 20 20:26:41 BST 2012

On Monday 20 August 2012 Aug, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:

> I don't see how this saves users any keystrokes. Let's compare the task "Get
> the content of an existing file and save it to a new file" with and without this
> feature, with the standard shortcut settings and leaving out interaction with
> file open and save dialogs because they are not affected.
> With the feature:
> Alt+F, Alt+I, [select file], [edit file], Ctrl+S
> Without the feature:
> Ctrl+O, [select file], [edit file], Alt+F, Alt+A
> Exactly the same amount of keystokes. With mouse clicks, it's the same.
>
> If I have missed something, please correct me.

The actual way the user will work without import is:

ctrl-o, select file, alt-f, alt-a, edit, ctrl-s

unless they forget that, and do

ctrl-o, select file, edit, ctrl-s, ctrl-z, ctrl-z, ctrl-z, ctrl-z, ctrl-z, shit! Lost the original document, and undo doesn't go back all the way, what now?

> I agree with Jaroslaw here. Unless I missed something, there is no actual
> advantage of using "Open as new" vs. Open + Save As. Therefore it _is_
> redundant.
>
> I invite anyone to prove me wrong by telling me what that feature offers which
> Open + Save As does not and I gladly withdraw my objection. Until then, I
> strongly object keeping the feature in.

It's easier, clearer and safer...

> The new label does make sense to me, though, so if the feature stays, it
> should be given that label.

In any case, there is no patch to remove the feature; and looking at KoDocument.cpp, I don't think I want to write that patch.

--
Boudewijn Rempt