Wikipedia preparation for 2.4 release

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Wed Apr 11 14:13:46 BST 2012

On 11 April 2012 14:49, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau <kossebau at kde.org> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 11. April 2012, 13:42:55 schrieb Markus:
>> Am Mittwoch 11 April 2012, 13:19:49 schrieb Friedrich W. H. Kossebau:
>> > So this is how Wikipedia works these days, everyone writes articles about
>> > their own stuff?
>>
>> Well, I'm not a Calligra author (in fact I'm longer a Wikipedian than a KDE
>> member).
>
> Ah, okay, sorry, do not yet have a complete picture of all the people involved
> in Calligra, so misassumed here.
>
>> The best way for official members is to publish a blog post about
>> fact that Wikipedia authors can use as reference. Eg. I have to admit that I
>> called Words a fork of KWord on WP because the early Calligra website
>> called Words "a word processor created from KWord" or something like that.
>> It required a blog post by Boemann to get that straight.
>
> :)
>
>> > * Sometimes only half of the program names are used, like just "Words" or
>> > "Sheets". But that should be always "Calligra Words" or "Calligra Sheets",
>> > as this is the official full name.
>>
>> IMO that's part of editorial judgment for better readability. In their
>> dedicated articles the actual names are explained, eg. "Calligra Words" is
>> one article but another is "Karbon (software)".
>> LibreOffice has something similar:
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice#Included_applications
>> That table calls the word processor Writer but its article states that the
>> full name is LibreOffice Writer.
>
> Hm. Just that this blurs the real name a little. If I had to decide, I would
> insist in the full name everywhere, no made up short forms.

This decision is up to the individual developer teams. For example
like many, I detest the Microsoft Office Access and many users still
call it just Access. So similarly in Calligra: Kexi, which is not
English word so the name is rarely confused with nouns like words,
stage, flow. The main idea behind the Calligra prefix is to avoid the
confusion.

When it's hard to type name, people will shorten it, hence the lack of
consistency. It should not hurt as long as we know what app we're
talking about.

> After all the LibreOffice authors use the short forms you mention themselves,
> see e.g. http://www.libreoffice.org/features/writer/
>
> This is different in Calligra. Its e.g. always "Calligra Words". Oh wait, not.
> At least the urls are just calligra.org/words/, the icon on the first page
> have just a short form, and the big picture on e.g. calligra.org/words/ also
> has just "Words" in it. Leftovers, or still current state?

While some of the uses could be corrected, this is normal to write in
short in given context. See my above explanation...

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek