Calligra on Tizen and beyond

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Fri Sep 30 17:17:52 BST 2011

On Friday 30 September 2011 Sep, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:

> Dear All, let's step back and think what the broadway-like stuff
> really is. This is not HTML5 app but client (viewer) for server
> process that is still native GTK/Qt app that may be.

Yes, that's true.

> HTML5 app is the
> one that you can use without extra runtimes also, say, on Android and
> iOS. This is what Zemlin
> The native app does not benefit in any way from browser security, just
> like switching from x11 graphicsystem to -raster changes nothing is
> this regard. I would also say more layers is a pain with not benefit.
>
> There is no Calligra for HTML5 and I think we do not even think about
> it. WebODF is a viewer.

No, that's not true. WebODF is also an editor. It's the only thing that can reasonably be packaged as a wac app -- and in fact, is on Android and iOS already..

> My proposal for announcing support (that costs us close to nothing)

We cannot announce support for something that doesn't exist yet, not with a straight face. Besides, calligra couldn't be a first class citizen because the one thing that's certain about Tizen is that it won't have Qt on it.

> for Tizen comes because I believe there will be no mature free
> software rich office HTML5 app anytime soon for WebOS^w Tizen.

Tizen and WebOS don't have anything to do with each other. And iirc, WebOS actually did contain Qt libraries by default -- but then, it also had a full-featured close-source right office suite by default as well, according to the presentation I saw at HP's booth at MWC in Barcelona.

> Anything you do in such development is constrained by WAC unless you
> agree to break compatibility and inject binary lib - then you'd have
> to deploy it to other systems too (but the why to skip native Qt
> programs?)

I don't agree. I think it's perfectly possible to write a full-featured office suite in html + javascript. Google has already done that.

> As for Android support, let's go for it (annoncement is needed to get
> dedicated people on board).
> In the meantime we'll also have to decide for at least one more
> announcement - what kind of support we offer for the forthcoming
> Meltemi OS.

A free software project cannot announce support for an os that nobody has seen yet, that nobody knows for real what it's about, that closed, unreleased and a corporate in-house game. So the calligra project shouldn't announce support in any format for Tizen nor Meltemi.

Tizen is closed, proprietary vapourware at the moment. Let's wait until it materializes before we do anything there. Same with Meltemi (though Meltemi is more likely place for Calligra, since it's Qt + QML, and we have that already in Calligra Active.)

--
Boudewijn Rempt