Calligra on Tizen and beyond

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Fri Sep 30 16:34:00 BST 2011

On 30 September 2011 15:51, Sebastian Sauer <mail at dipe.org> wrote:
> On 09/30/2011 10:45 AM, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
>
> On Friday 30 September 2011 Sep, Sebastian Sauer wrote:
>
> 2) to get a HTML5 canvas backend done for Qt similar to what broadway
> does in GTK
>
> Actually, that already worked after a fashion in February or even earlier.
> I've seen Marijn demo Tables running in firefox
>
> Oh, great to know. Somebody shuld blog+showcase it cause that is a cool
> thing especially
> if it comes to making some fast PR-points :-)

Dear All, let's step back and think what the broadway-like stuff
really is. This is not HTML5 app but client (viewer) for server
process that is still native GTK/Qt app that may be. HTML5 app is the
one that you can use without extra runtimes also, say, on Android and
iOS. This is what Zemlin
The native app does not benefit in any way from browser security, just
like switching from x11 graphicsystem to -raster changes nothing is
this regard. I would also say more layers is a pain with not benefit.

There is no Calligra for HTML5 and I think we do not even think about
it. WebODF is a viewer.

My proposal for announcing support (that costs us close to nothing)
for Tizen comes because I believe there will be no mature free
software rich office HTML5 app anytime soon for WebOS^w Tizen.
Anything you do in such development is constrained by WAC unless you
agree to break compatibility and inject binary lib - then you'd have
to deploy it to other systems too (but the why to skip native Qt
programs?)

As for Android support, let's go for it (annoncement is needed to get
dedicated people on board).
In the meantime we'll also have to decide for at least one more
announcement - what kind of support we offer for the forthcoming
Meltemi OS.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek