Calligra akademy mentoring program - some explanations

Hanna Skott hanna.skott at kogmbh.com
Sat Sep 17 12:18:26 BST 2011

Hey again all Calligra developers,

after some feedback, I felt compelled to explain my scary time
commitment examples:

I was trying to put a number to how long it would take for me to define
a task that keeps someone busy for the amount of time of the different
mentoring relationship lengths. So a few things to consider before
deciding if you want to participate is:

a) How much time does it take you to create a junior job, and how long
does that job keep a newbie busy (this would probably not be very
different from the 2 week mentoring program length).

b) How much time do you normally use to help the newbie understand what
you meant by the job you described, as well as helping him/her over
hurdles and such. All this time is hidden normally, in my estimate that
time was included.

c) If you want to participate in a longer mentoring program (3,6,12
months) then only the first task needs defining at start, the rest of
the tasks can be defines as the program progresses - so the time is
actually spread out.

d) When we speak of meetings, we are talking about meetings where you
talk about what your protégé has done in the last week, and talk about
what he/she will do next week - so again 1 hour per week is an estimate
that might end up being 20 minutes for some, and 1 hour for others. It
depends on what kind of time your protégé has to spend on his/her tasks.
Perhaps if they don't have much time to spend, it is better to have
biweekly meetings.

Kindest Regards:
Hanna