Calligra on Tizen and beyond

Sebastian Sauer mail at dipe.org
Wed Oct 12 09:35:40 BST 2011

On 09/30/2011 07:04 PM, Jos van den Oever wrote:
>>> I don't agree. I think it's perfectly possible to write a full-featured
>>> office suite in html + javascript. Google has already done that.
>> google docs is not even close to be a full-featured office suite. It's
>> an extended text-editor
>> on top of a relational db. The gdata-API is insufficient for anything
>> more complex. But then
>> that is also an advantage. They don't try to be feature-complete with
>> MSOffice/OpenOffice/Calligra
>> but only offer an online (and since some time even offline) richtext
>> editor/calculator/presenter.
>>
>> But yes, I think that it would be possible too :-)
> There are things that are simply impossible or very hard even in HTML5. For
> exmple consider positioning of draw:frame in a brower. The anchor can be
> relative to paragraph, to character or to page. This distinction is not so
> easy to do in CSS. I give this example since I've studied that recently.
I did study WebOdf a bit but now I wonder why only CSS? I mean why
not some Javscript-magic that does the positioning?
> Another topic is wrapping. CSS has muchs less fancy wrapping.
Wrapping is indeed a complex topic.
> And third quick
> example is tabs. HTML does not have tabs. You can simulate them with tables to
> a point.
Indeed.
> These are few caveats that show that doing all the layout that ODF
> allows is atm beyond an HTML page. WebODF makes a good effort, but it is not
> perfect.
I see. Thanks for sharing.
> There are three possible strategies:
>   1) go with HTML5 and use do what is possible,
>      downside: not perfect
>   2) use Qt and do everything right,
>      downside: not just HTML
>   3) use<canvas/>  and do everything right.
>      downside: ton of work and redoing all the text layout code
>
> WebODF uses option 1). Calligra does option 2). Option 3) i have not seen yet.
> WebODF will go and use that in some places but not to solve e.g. the tabs
> problem since text on a<canvas/>  is not selectable.
>
> What the best solution is, I cannot tell. I think that HTML5 layout will
> become more advanced and that webodf will benefit from that.
That would be HTML6 or 5.1 then. Taken the current speed HTML
and the browsers develop into account that's perfect possible.