some feedback on calligrawords and the styles by default

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Sat Nov 26 23:29:18 GMT 2011

On 27 November 2011 00:17, Thomas Pfeiffer <colomar at autistici.org> wrote:
> On Friday 25 November 2011 16:35:41 Sebastian Sauer wrote:
>
>> But then as Jaroslaw wrote we indeed could target way more users by
>> providing more then one template. Think of one for designers, one for
>> artists, etc. pp. We could then either ship with more then one (well, we
>> already do but then are not really that good) and/or over them to
>> download e.g. via GetHotNewStuff (KGHNS).
>
> This is really were content-specific templates come into play. For example a
> "professional letter" template should have different styles then a "private
> letter" template. A "scientific paper" template should have numbered sections,
> a "press article" template should not. So I think the content has more
> influence on which styles work better than the user.
> It would make sense if most users would find and choose an appropriate
> template for the document they want to create which has styles that fit the
> purpose.

That's right. If we look closer - templates are about content. This
leads to conclusion that having only templates on the desk does not
give enough power offered by document styles; once template is
selected, styles are set fixed. Then one use the horrible 'MS Word 95'
era hack -  import styles from another document/template (I found it
only discoverable for real power users) or rework the styles by hand.
Both approaches lead to loosing most of advantages of the styles like
inheritance. So Themes are here for rescue.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek