Calligra styles for 2.4 and later: was: some feedback on calligrawords

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Fri Nov 25 22:17:29 GMT 2011

Thanks for the feedback.
I propose to get the default odt from libreoffice (maybe test it a bit
more with Words, adopt here and there if there is  technical need) and
stay with it for 2.4 series. Thus we'll have some time saved for tasks
with high priority now before release.

Naturally there two sources of disagreement: there are personal
preferences and some of us believe in predefined use cases. This
variety can be addressed by the means that already have been
mentioned: templates via GHNS embedding into Calligra GUI, templates
as entries on kde-files.org accessible via browser directly, and
finally themes feature within apps (discussion started at the sprint,
there will be a blog entry; can support GHNS too).

Themes (family of styles) and templates are orthogonal topics. I
believe having a bunch of empty documents that only differ mostly with
office-styles is not the way to go. Encouraging work on the content
(first?) and changing all the carefully crafted and predefined styles
family to different in one go. I've always though about styles in ODF
(and pre-ODF) like about styles in CSS, i.e. styles applicable to
existing documents.
In contrast to that, in this vocabulary, templates means for
predefining content, like a specific kind of writing (academic,
governmental) or an invoice table.

We can be very good in both areas, templates and theming but this will
take time to organize _globally_ in Calligra. Also organize the needed
means to encourage authors to contribute specifically for Calligra,
with Calligra in mind, without any harm to standards.

So for now I propose as above, to reuse the default odf document and
also keep some templates based on the same styles when applicable.
This will save us from situation where we backpedals to very different
defaults after 2.4.
I think we can afford this decision now.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek