Fwd: Deadline: 28th - was Re: Calligra Branding Presentation & Draft of Guidelines

C. Boemann cbo at boemann.dk
Tue Nov 22 21:41:10 GMT 2011

On Tuesday 22 November 2011 22:23:11 Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> On 22 November 2011 13:58, C. Boemann <cbo at boemann.dk> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 22 November 2011 13:15:11 you wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> I'd like to say that unless there are other proposals we are not going
> >> to have a vote on license for the logo and the guidelines.
> >> Should you have any objections in these matters please do so before
> >> Monday, Nov 28th.
> >>
> >> The deadline does not mean corrections cannot be made - like
> >> rephrasing or especially covering new cases.
> >
> > I think you should use the © character as it looks more professional
> >
> > item number 3 read completely garbage to me and needs rewording. I don't
> > even understand what it's about, so I can't even begin to suggest a
> > better wording. It's the first 2 lines.
>
> I was not satisfied with sounding but definitely with the meaning.
> Please someone propose a fix.
>
> "3. Creation of the Calligra Project or part of this creation may be
> used as a part of another product or content consisting of other parts
> not directly related to (and not derived from) the Calligra Project's
> creations. In this case the logo may only be used if it is made clear
> that the logo only refers to the part of the product or content
> derived from creations of the Calligra Project and does not refer to
> the entire product or to any parts unrelated to the Calligra Project.
> For example the logo may be displayed on an optical disc containing
> various software packages, but only in a way that indicates that not
> all packages placed on the disc are related to creations of the
> Calligra Project."
>
> In other words you can take any creation published by the of the
> Calligra Project (or take part of the creation).
> Then you can use that as a part when creating another product
> (software, device...) or content (some media).
> The product or content can also contain other other parts not directly
> related to (and not derived from) the Calligra Project's creations.
> So you may be forced to make it clear that the logo only refers to the
> part of our product or content (derived from creations of the Calligra
> Project) and does not refer to the _entire_ product/content or to any
> parts unrelated to the Calligra Project.
>
> This is to avoid spreading Calligra brand to products that are for any
> reason beyond our control and thus we cannot apply our own minimal
> quality standards (and generally we cannot or do not want to take
> responsibility for the products for any reason). This guideline would
> also help when someone intends to pull of an app/module from Calligra
> suite without removing Calligra prefix from the name.

Ah got it now. I then propose:

3. Often a (part of a) creation by the Calligra Project can (depending on
licence) be used as a part of another product or content not otherwise related
to (or derived from) creations by the Calligra Product. In this case the
logo.....

also:

s/"creation of the Calligra Project"/ "creation by the Calligra Project"/