Fwd: Deadline: 28th - was Re: Calligra Branding Presentation & Draft of Guidelines

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Tue Nov 22 21:23:11 GMT 2011

On 22 November 2011 13:58, C. Boemann <cbo at boemann.dk> wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 November 2011 13:15:11 you wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'd like to say that unless there are other proposals we are not going
>> to have a vote on license for the logo and the guidelines.
>> Should you have any objections in these matters please do so before
>> Monday, Nov 28th.
>>
>> The deadline does not mean corrections cannot be made - like
>> rephrasing or especially covering new cases.
>
> I think you should use the © character as it looks more professional
>
> item number 3 read completely garbage to me and needs rewording. I don't even
> understand what it's about, so I can't even begin to suggest a better wording.
> It's the first 2 lines.

I was not satisfied with sounding but definitely with the meaning.
Please someone propose a fix.

"3. Creation of the Calligra Project or part of this creation may be
used as a part of another product or content consisting of other parts
not directly related to (and not derived from) the Calligra Project's
creations. In this case the logo may only be used if it is made clear
that the logo only refers to the part of the product or content
derived from creations of the Calligra Project and does not refer to
the entire product or to any parts unrelated to the Calligra Project.
For example the logo may be displayed on an optical disc containing
various software packages, but only in a way that indicates that not
all packages placed on the disc are related to creations of the
Calligra Project."

In other words you can take any creation published by the of the
Calligra Project (or take part of the creation).
Then you can use that as a part when creating another product
(software, device...) or content (some media).
The product or content can also contain other other parts not directly
related to (and not derived from) the Calligra Project's creations.
So you may be forced to make it clear that the logo only refers to the
part of our product or content (derived from creations of the Calligra
Project) and does not refer to the _entire_ product/content or to any
parts unrelated to the Calligra Project.

This is to avoid spreading Calligra brand to products that are for any
reason beyond our control and thus we cannot apply our own minimal
quality standards (and generally we cannot or do not want to take
responsibility for the products for any reason). This guideline would
also help when someone intends to pull of an app/module from Calligra
suite without removing Calligra prefix from the name.

> s/"as shown at left"/"as shown on the left"/

Thanks, fixed.

> For the clearance zone why not state it as 1/3 of the height, then it easily
> scales to whatever scale the logo is shown at.

It's size of the baseline in fact. Changed the section to:

"Clearance zone
The clearance zone is an integral part of the logo design and should
be used for maximum presence for the logo across any material. The
logo must never enter the clearance zone. The size of the clearance
zone should not be reduced but can be enlarged. The minimum clear
space area is equal to the base line height of the “Calligra” text,
which is about 1/3 of the entire logo's height. Use solid white (or
black) color even if the background of the document is very light (or
dark, respectively)."

> And finally the svg file needs to be uploaded somewhere in the end. Downsizing
> the pixel image is not good.

Yes it will be linked to the logo page starting with Nov 28th.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek