[rant] Target audience for calligra-suite.org

Cyrille Berger Skott cberger at cberger.net
Wed Nov 16 09:22:31 GMT 2011

On Tuesday 15 November 2011, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> On 15 November 2011 20:24, Cyrille Berger Skott <cberger at cberger.net> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > calligra.org (not anymore calligra-suite.orgt ;P) is our front page for
> > our users, right ? Then we have to identify our current users and the
> > one we are targetting in the next few monthes (not the one in the next
> > few years).
> >
> > Here is the deal, our current users (ignoring Krita and possibly Kexi)
> > and next few months are:
> >
> > * power-users, usually KDE users, free-software oriented and linux geeks
> > * ISV (Nokia and some other customers of KO Gmbh)
>
> Thanks for taking time in clear explanation, Cyrille.
> OK, how about mentioning this in one clear sentence on the very front
> page (or every page)?
> Just like kexi-project.org has in a small yellow box on the front page.
> Then technical content is justified.

I really don't see the point...

> OK. I was thinking about exposing pre-alpha features as a part of
> sharing vision. E.g. all the recent scripting things.
> More and more engines topics. Now I say - why not: LO announces web
> orientation of the GUI years before anything can be seriously
> delivered ;)

In my opinion those pre-alpha features belong to blogs (and those are also
visible on the front page). We alreeady get too many criticisms for not
delivering promises that we never really made. And I personnally think that LO
will be bitten in the ass with the web and mobile announcement, everybody
expect that it will be available next year. So I had rather kept the news
section of the calligra website for thing that exists, and have developers use
blog to speak about what they are doing.

> > Other than that, I don't think that the website is too developer
> > oriented. Like Boudewijn said, we release beta because we want people to
> > test our applications, and if the only way to install those packages is
> > a command line, well I would say that it is still better to give the
> > information than to not give it.
> >
> > As for the "presentation", the website still feel a bit too much
> > bloglike, and I would like it to move in the way of the getkde.org
> > thingy (and we have a beta for that here
> > http://www.calligra.org/homebeta/ besides a few minor CSS issues, the
> > addition I would like is to have the banner become a slide show, but I
> > did not find the correct combo of time/motivation for that).
>
> That is good thing! How about pinging the getkde.org author to get
> some help or at least opinion? He seems to be motivated and there are
> nonzero chances he would find new focus within Calligra :)
Sure.

--
Cyrille Berger Skott