[rant] Target audience for calligra-suite.org

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Tue Nov 15 20:46:33 GMT 2011

On 15 November 2011 20:24, Cyrille Berger Skott <cberger at cberger.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> calligra.org (not anymore calligra-suite.orgt ;P) is our front page for our
> users, right ? Then we have to identify our current users and the one we are
> targetting in the next few monthes (not the one in the next few years).
>
> Here is the deal, our current users (ignoring Krita and possibly Kexi) and
> next few months are:
>
> * power-users, usually KDE users, free-software oriented and linux geeks
> * ISV (Nokia and some other customers of KO Gmbh)

Thanks for taking time in clear explanation, Cyrille.
OK, how about mentioning this in one clear sentence on the very front
page (or every page)?
Just like kexi-project.org has in a small yellow box on the front page.
Then technical content is justified.

> Those might not be our target dream users, but that is the people we want to
> "sell" calligra to _now_. In a few months, when the desktop version of
> calligra gets better and our user taget changes we can update that list.
>
> So calligra.org is there to provide news and information to those people.
> Incidently, they expect the same kind of news: technical details on the
> progress of the software.
>
> Now there are ways to present technical progress and ways. And I am rather
> convinced that we can do it in an user friendly way.
>
> That is for the audience part.
>
> Now when it comes to the content, lets say it like this, we don't have anyone
> working on that at the moment. Which is the real problem, and the reason why
> we still have news from April on the front page. Unless someone volunteers to
> do that part of the work, I don't really see a solution.
>
> The way I see, it boils down to three tasks:
>
> 1) diggs interesting stuff
> 2) write an article about it, make a screenshot
> 3) reviewer
>
> Lets face it, 1) can only be done by developers, because they are the one who
> knows what is going on, and especially when a feature is ready. So if people
> are willing to ping me on the cool new features (especially user visible,
> whether a new tool, dialog or an important bug fix in document rendering), I
> can do 2) (a maximum of once a week and hopefully at least once a month). But
> I would need someone to do 3).

OK. I was thinking about exposing pre-alpha features as a part of
sharing vision. E.g. all the recent scripting things.
More and more engines topics. Now I say - why not: LO announces web
orientation of the GUI years before anything can be seriously
delivered ;)

> Other than that, I don't think that the website is too developer oriented.
> Like Boudewijn said, we release beta because we want people to test our
> applications, and if the only way to install those packages is a command line,
> well I would say that it is still better to give the information than to not
> give it.
>
> As for the "presentation", the website still feel a bit too much bloglike, and
> I would like it to move in the way of the getkde.org thingy (and we have a
> beta for that here http://www.calligra.org/homebeta/ besides a few minor CSS
> issues, the addition I would like is to have the banner become a slide show,
> but I did not find the correct combo of time/motivation for that).

That is good thing! How about pinging the getkde.org author to get
some help or at least opinion? He seems to be motivated and there are
nonzero chances he would find new focus within Calligra :)

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek