Making scripts available to the public

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Sat Nov 5 17:52:53 GMT 2011

On 5 November 2011 17:12, Cyrille Berger Skott <cberger at cberger.net> wrote:
> On Friday 04 November 2011, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
>> On 4 November 2011 09:46, Dag Andersen <danders at get2net.dk> wrote:
>> > Do we (and users) have anywhere to put scripts that one wants to be
>> > available to the public?
>> > For koffice we used kde-files.org but I don't know if that's the best
>> > place.
>>
>> Until we have a lot of them, I would use kde-files.org and maybe have
>> a userbase page with links to them.
>> One day, if needed we would want to integrate this aspect more so 1.
>> calligra web site can present the resources, 2. applications can
>> discover them.
>> Probably via GHNS.
> All of which kde-files.org does ;) I don't see a purpose in maintaining our own
> server, in case calligra becomes super popuplar, I am sure opendesktop will
> come up with a calligra-files.org anyway...

Except we have
1. no strict distinction between types of resources, e.g. for kexi
there are flat category: script and template; I'd like to have
something that we can manage the categories without time consuming
contacting the site owners. Also versioning for resources would be a
plus.
2. no say on what would appear on the list of scripts in a Calligra app.
This is security risk, so we need some approval process (in addition to rating).
3. visitors of kde-files.org experience category and UI clutter (two
screens of categories); many KDE users know GHNS in context of plasma;
for me it's example of extreme clutter: minor changes to plasma theme
arrives as new entry...

So 1. and 2. and 3. can be fixed by having another layer. This is not
request, just idea and explanation why I wouldn't decide to display
content from kde-files.org or any other sites in kexi UI directly
(unless user agrees to have the risk and clutter).

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek