Comments on the logo

Michiel Leenaars michiel.ml at nlnet.nl
Fri Nov 4 12:57:30 GMT 2011

Hi folks,

while looking for the proper logo to include for Calligra in Officeshots
I came across a logo design sketch for Calligra suite that was
apparently discussed for some time already:

http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/calligra-devel/attachments/20111006/845bf0ac/attachment-0001.png

I just wanted to share some comments about that design. I don't know the
current status of that particular design but I feel it definitely
needs some work before it should be adopted. The chief reason for
this is that there are two 'orthogonal' classes of fonts used in it - a
serif and a sans serif. Most of the letters in the logo contain a
serif, but not the c and the g. The serif normally adds to a nice
fluent shape - like one would create with a calligraphic brush. Having
these two classes of fonts intermixed in one 'word' looks unbalanced
and somewhat inconvenient to the eye - and combined with the different
shapes, sizes and inclinations of these letters and the isometric
strokes of their core shape prevents the text to have the clear iconic
quality a letter based logo needs.

Having a suite named after the art of writing beautiful text would
easily trigger comments if such font inconsistencies are not fixed. And
more importantly, it would not help at all with successfully branding
the project.

I do realise this is slightly out of scope for the development list,
but since the original discussions took place here, I felt it to be
the most appropriate. The last thing I want is to be accused of
steering towards design by committee, so you all take this for
whatever it is worth.

If I can help out in any way, let me know.

Best,
Michiel
--
Michiel Leenaars
Director of Strategy

Address:
NLnet Foundation
Science Park 400 (Matrix 2)
1098 XH Amsterdam
The Netherlands

http://nlnet.nl
sip/xmpp: michiel [@t] nlnet.nl

'If you want the Internet to grow strong, safe and free,
but you don't know how to help, contribute to NLNet:
they do know and care."

                                         Giorgio Maone, NoScript

Interested what Richard Stallman, Karsten Nohl, Andy Tanenbaum and
many others have to say about what NLnet helped them do for you?
Feel your wallet tingling already? Check out:

                          http://nlnet.nl/donating/quotes.html