Active & Calligra

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun May 1 21:02:03 BST 2011

On Sunday, May 1, 2011 21:13:11 Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> All this is nice engineering but I still have questions. Is there any
> promising cooperation with hardware vendors?

we're working on it.

> what would be the message of the 'Active' team to hardware vendors
> that happen to _have_ their GUI shells already, their designs, their
> likes and dislikes (and their development models are set in the
> stone), be it for mobile phone or tablet or netbook (think: android or
> whatever will Intel and LG offer on top of meego).

Android is an interesting question as we (KDE) don't have a full solution
there yet. it would be good to see the Qt port project (hosted on kde git)
evolve further. perhaps we'll get the resources for that eventually.

as for "on top of MeeGo", MeeGo has no 'de facto' UX.  if your app runs well
on devices of a given format factor with MeeGo, that's what we're looking for.
and hopefully we can bring our efforts together in striving towards that goal.

> When the message is known, it'd be easier for app developers to decide
> if investing in nonstandard UX-es is comfortable decision within the
> 'Active' initiative. At least for me...

there is no non-standard UX. if your app is touch friendly, uses technologies
like QtQuick .. that's what's important. it isn't about targeting the plasma-
mobile shell. it's about making your app ready for use on devices other than
laptops/desktops.

KDE has been lacking a shared, cooperative, open effort to do this. instead
we've had many different projects all achieving less than we can together.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se