My first draft proposal for plasma based presentation view

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 14:51:14 GMT 2011

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 6:55 AM, Sinny Kumari <ksinny at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 1:48 AM, Sinny Kumari <ksinny at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi!
>> I am sending my first draft proposal for the idea
>> http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2011/Ideas#Project:_Plasma-based_Presentation_View.
>> Please have a look at
>> https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1kF9ZN8YgIXMAcOAOzGpzpXc8BB8d0OElwLgOPsICxfI
>> .
>> It might be incomplete or need improvement, so please don't hesitate
>> to share your suggestions. I am eagerly waiting for replies :)
>>
>> Thanks in advance :)
>>
>> --

Although it isn't my decision, it looks good to me overall.  I do have
some suggestions:

1. You need to clarify how someone would go to a specific slide.
Possibilities I can think of include typing in a number or clicking on
the slide sorter

2. You need to clarify how the timers would work.  Is it a digital or
analog click?  I would personally suggest both.  You should probably
explain how and where someone will set the start time for the count
down widget.  I would also suggest the count up and count down widgets
be separate

3. One of the key parts of my original suggestion was to have the
equivalent of activities, multiple independent presenter views with
different widgets that you can switch between during the presentation.
 I see no mention of this.

4. There should probably be an option on the current slide widget to
show the current slide number and/or the total number of slides.
Alternatively this could be separate widget

5. The slide list should probably take advantage of plasma
capabilities so that when you make it really small it acts as a pop-up
button and when larger acts like an icon view.  It should also
dynamically lay out the icons based on its current shape, and should
probably have a zoom slider.

6. Since plasma has tooltip capabilities, you should probably think
about what tooltips would be shown when you hover over certain
elements.

7. It would be worthwhile listing existing widgets you think your new
widgets might be similar to.

8. It is probably worth mentioning that the presenter view will also
support all standard plasma widgets.

9. How will theming work?  Will it use the standard plasma theme, a
calligra-specific theme, or can you pick a different theme from the
plasma themes?

10. How will the background work?

-Todd