Single Canvas Presentation Feature in Karbon

Thorsten Zachmann t.zachmann at zagge.de
Tue Mar 22 02:29:11 GMT 2011

On Tuesday, March 22, 2011 00:37:44 jaham at gmx.net wrote:
> On Monday 21 March 2011 23:17:09 Aakriti Gupta wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I am interested in the following idea of implementing a single canvas
> > presentation view (like Prezi, Zippl or JessyInk)as a GSoC project for
> > this year.
> > http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2011/Ideas#Project:_Single-canvas_Presentat
> > io n_Mode_.28like_Prezi_or_Zippl.29
> >
> > I discussed this idea with Kevin Ottens, Thorsten Zachmann and
> > Jean-Nicholas Artaud over the IRC.
> > We decided that either this should be added as a feature in Karbon (like
> > JessyInk in Inkscape) or a separate new app (like Zippl).
> > The feature would be better in Karbon than stage because the workflow is
> > closer to Karbon's use than Stage's and the former has better SVG
> > support.Also, this would save the extra work required in writing a new
> > app.
>
> Nice idea. I agree, it probably would be easier to do using Karbon as a
> base.
>
> > The workflow would be:
> > Make a poster in Karbon ->  Mark out frames and set their properties
> > (order of frames, animation, next frame, etc.) -> Drawing exported as an
> > SVG -> Presentation can be viewed in any browser supporting SVG.
> >
> > I have been learning scripting of SVGs, specially the animation, movement
> > from
> > frame to frame and embedding of images.
> > I am trying to get familiar with the architecture of Karbon and the
> > filters used
> > for exporting of SVG.
> >
> > I came across a TODO list but I am not clear on the jobs mentioned.
> > They are:
> > SVG export
> > - pattern strokes
>
> This is missing completely. As soon as flake does support patterned borders
> of shapes (solid and gradient borders are already implemented), exporting
> these can be implemented. Sadly ODF does not specify pattern borders
> AFAIK, so this will be a svg only feature.

I think that is not really needed for your project.

> > - text
>
> Svg text support is still very basic at the moment, but i think all things
> we support are exported properly.
>
> > - for text on path: when on path shape
> >
> >     -> path data into defs
> >     -> path shape with use on defs path data
> >     => maps back to text on path shape when importing
>
> I think this is obsolete and can be removed.
>
> > I was wondering what these mean in terms of implementation.
> >
> > Let me know what you think about the idea.
>
> I think it is a nice project to do. Complexity of the project depends on
> whether you want Karbon to be able to also play/preview these svg
> animations or if you just want to setup and export the presentation in
> Karbon. The latter can probably achieved by implementing some custom
> tool/shape plugins, which is quite easy to do in calligra.
>
> > I will soon send out a first draft of my GSoC proposal for review and an
> > example presentation. The draft would contain more details on the
> > technical implementation of the feature and timeline.
> > (Should this be sent to the Calligra mailing list?)
>
> Yes, please send the draft to the Calligra mailing list, so other people
> can give input.

I think it should not send to the mailing list as there will be also other who
might want to work on this project and I think they should make up their own
oppinion about the project. Please put it on the GSOC webside as soon as it is
possible.

Thorsten