Single Canvas Presentation Feature in Karbon

jaham at gmx.net jaham at gmx.net
Mon Mar 21 23:37:44 GMT 2011

On Monday 21 March 2011 23:17:09 Aakriti Gupta wrote:
> Hi,
> I am interested in the following idea of implementing a single canvas
> presentation view (like Prezi, Zippl or JessyInk)as a GSoC project for this
> year.
> http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2011/Ideas#Project:_Single-canvas_Presentatio
> n_Mode_.28like_Prezi_or_Zippl.29
>
> I discussed this idea with Kevin Ottens, Thorsten Zachmann and
> Jean-Nicholas Artaud over the IRC.
> We decided that either this should be added as a feature in Karbon (like
> JessyInk in Inkscape) or a separate new app (like Zippl).
> The feature would be better in Karbon than stage because the workflow is
> closer to Karbon's use than Stage's and the former has better SVG
> support.Also, this would save the extra work required in writing a new app.

Nice idea. I agree, it probably would be easier to do using Karbon as a base.

> The workflow would be:
> Make a poster in Karbon ->  Mark out frames and set their properties (order
> of frames, animation, next frame, etc.) -> Drawing exported as an SVG ->
> Presentation can be viewed in any browser supporting SVG.
>
> I have been learning scripting of SVGs, specially the animation, movement
> from
> frame to frame and embedding of images.
> I am trying to get familiar with the architecture of Karbon and the filters
> used
> for exporting of SVG.
>
> I came across a TODO list but I am not clear on the jobs mentioned.
> They are:
> SVG export
> - pattern strokes

This is missing completely. As soon as flake does support patterned borders of
shapes (solid and gradient borders are already implemented), exporting these
can be implemented. Sadly ODF does not specify pattern borders AFAIK, so this
will be a svg only feature.

> - text

Svg text support is still very basic at the moment, but i think all things we
support are exported properly.

> - for text on path: when on path shape
>     -> path data into defs
>     -> path shape with use on defs path data
>     => maps back to text on path shape when importing

I think this is obsolete and can be removed.

> I was wondering what these mean in terms of implementation.
>
> Let me know what you think about the idea.

I think it is a nice project to do. Complexity of the project depends on
whether you want Karbon to be able to also play/preview these svg animations
or if you just want to setup and export the presentation in Karbon.
The latter can probably achieved by implementing some custom tool/shape
plugins, which is quite easy to do in calligra.

> I will soon send out a first draft of my GSoC proposal for review and an
> example presentation. The draft would contain more details on the technical
> implementation of the feature and timeline.
> (Should this be sent to the Calligra mailing list?)

Yes, please send the draft to the Calligra mailing list, so other people can
give input.

Ciao Jan

PS: I cc'ed the calligra mailing list with this mail.