Announcement for snapshot 2

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Jun 13 12:38:22 BST 2011

On Saturday 11 June 2011 Jun, Inge Wallin wrote:
> As far as I know, Cyrille has tagged snapshot 2 now.  At least he updated the
> version to 2.3.72.
>
> This means that the release is imminent, and it's time for me to write a new
> announcement.  So I'd like to get a grasp of what has happened since snapshot
> 1.
>
> Could you who have created some significant change write a reply to this mail
> (on the ML, of course) and tell me what you did?  This is especially important
> if you have made user visible changes and UI improvements.

For Krita, the number of changes is quite big:

* painting is smoother than ever, thanks to Geoffry Song's work.
* printing to pdf has been improved thanks to Sven Langkamp, who also fixed a host of smaller bugs
* the preset editor now has a preset selector embedded, making it even easier to create new presets (this would be a good one to illustrate with a screenshot, which is attached), thanks to the work by Pentalis
* improved and configurable full-screen/just the canvas mode
* opacity can now be part of the paintop, thanks to Silvio Heinrich
* improved compatibility with some jpg files, thanks to Cyrille Berger
* first gsoc result: Get Hot New Stuff integration for resources like patterns, gradients and brushes, by Srikanth Tiyyagura
* new shortcuts to dynamically change saturation and value for the current brush, by Lukas Tvrdy -- K = darker, L = lighter,
* much clearer view of currently selected color in the advanced color selector by Adam Celarek.

Well, there's more stuff, many bug fixes and so, but these are the coolest changes.

About the topic of the audience for the announcement: it's still useless to target users -- if with users we mean the kind of people who are looking for a tool to do useful work with. We don't have what they need.

What we should target are people interested in the progress of the project, people who might want to help out, people who might still be unsure about whether koffice or calligra is more interesting to follow, people might consider using calligra in their own projects or plans. In other words, announcements such as these should be intended to grow our active community.

And whether these snapshots are snapshots or alpha releases: of course they are snapshots. An alpha is possibly broken release that nevertheless contains more or less everything the final release will contain. These are snapshots of what is in development, nothing more, nothing less.
--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.valdyas.org, http://www.krita.org