Update from the ODF TC

Pierre pinaraf at pinaraf.info
Mon Jun 6 20:42:01 BST 2011

On Monday 06 June 2011 16:45:33 Jos van den Oever wrote:
> Hello Calligra-ers,
>
> As you may or may not know, I represent KDE in the committee that specifies
> the OpenDocument Format. We have a weekly telephone call for the core TC
> in which I and Thorsten Zachmann participate. In addition there is a
> weekly call for the work group on change tracking and a biweekly call on
> interoperablility.
>
> This is the overview page:
>   http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/office/
> Apart from telephone discussions topics are discussed on the mailing lists
>   http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/
> Proposals for the specification are recorded and discussed here:
>   http://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/OFFICE
>
> ODF 1.2 is mostly done and will become a standard in the near future. This
> means we want people to suggest new ideas, improvements and enhancements to
> put in the next ODF standard. If there are things you would like to see
> changed in ODF now is the time to speak up. As TC contact, Thorsten and I
> can put your proposals in the 'specification changes' system, but everyone
> can also mail the public list:
>   http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office-comment/
>
> I would like first to let people in Calligra brainstorm about what is
> feasible and desirable. Ideas can be put as a reply to this mail. Changes
> do not have to be features, they can also be clarifications or
> simplifications.
>
> Best regards,
> Jos
Hello

Well, I've got a lot of things to suggest :)

1) defaults
That's a simple one : what is the default value of each attribute ?
For some of them, that's obvious, of course (underline default to none).
But... what about font size for instance ?
I could go on and on, just listing attributes and determining arbitrary default
values.

2) stricter RNG schema
There are several attributes in the RNG schema that are described as a string,
for instance some border or shadow attributes...
That's making it impossible to check for strict document compliance.

3) increase the OpenDocument covered features/standardize more things
There is a fallback mechanism to use pictures to replace unsupported elements.
Good.
The picture format is not defined. Bad.
That's making the fallback mechanism just useless... It allows LibreOffice to
insert SVM files as fallback...

More complex one : macros.
I understand macros language represent more or less the internals of the Office
suite behind.
But would it be possible to share a common, simple macro language with
LibreOffice/OpenOffice.org, that would be standardised in OpenDocument ?
It could be based on ECMA 262 (JavaScript the 5th), have a minimal API...
A bit like DOM is standardised in the browser...

Ok, that's insane, but... why not ?

	Pierre