Update from the ODF TC

Sebastian Sauer mail at dipe.org
Mon Jun 6 16:33:15 BST 2011

Jos van den Oever wrote:
> Hello Calligra-ers,
>
> As you may or may not know, I represent KDE in the committee that
> specifies the OpenDocument Format. We have a weekly telephone call for the
> core TC in which I and Thorsten Zachmann participate. In addition there is
> a weekly call for the work group on change tracking and a biweekly call on
> interoperablility.
>
> This is the overview page:
>   http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/office/
> Apart from telephone discussions topics are discussed on the mailing lists
>   http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/
> Proposals for the specification are recorded and discussed here:
>   http://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/OFFICE
>
> ODF 1.2 is mostly done and will become a standard in the near future. This
> means we want people to suggest new ideas, improvements and enhancements
> to put in the next ODF standard. If there are things you would like to see
> changed in ODF now is the time to speak up. As TC contact, Thorsten and I
> can put your proposals in the 'specification changes' system, but everyone
> can also mail the public list:
>   http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office-comment/
>
> I would like first to let people in Calligra brainstorm about what is
> feasible and desirable. Ideas can be put as a reply to this mail. Changes
> do not have to be features, they can also be clarifications or
> simplifications.

3 things that come to my mind to improve compatibility with MSOOXML would be;

1. Allow zoom per sheet in spreadsheet documents.
2. Allow to define a default formating+style (including background-colors) for
sheets in spreadsheet documents so all empty sheets have the default
formatting+style.
3. Allow shrink-to-fit in defined steps.