Progress-update for shapes (in this case emf-parser in the vectorshape)

Thorsten Zachmann t.zachmann at zagge.de
Sun Jul 10 05:37:25 BST 2011

On Saturday, July 09, 2011 18:20:35 Sebastian Sauer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> please find attached a patch that introduces the possibility to provide
> progress updates for shapes so they are able to give feedback on long
> running tasks.
>
> The patch also extends the vectorshape to use the functionality during
> parsing an EMF file.
>
> What you think?

I see some problems with the patch.

1. It does set the progress directly on the KoMainWindow without using a
KoProgressReporter. That has the problem that it will use its own progress
from 0 to 100 % while loading the shape and that is shown and afterwards it
will jump to whatever it was before when the normal progress reporting
resumes. By that the user gets the feeling the loading will be finished once
100% is reached which is not the case. It should instead its own
KoProgressPreporter instead.

2. The way the progress signal forwarding is done does not look nice. As it
uses the factory most I guess multiple main windows will be updated if you
have more then one document open. From my point of view it would make more
sense if it would be possible to have a way to set progress via the
KoShapeLoadingContext.

Thorsten