tools docker etc in plan

Cyrille Berger Skott cberger at cberger.net
Wed Jan 26 09:58:03 GMT 2011

On Wednesday 26 January 2011, Thorsten Zachmann wrote:
> Would it be enough for a GSOC project to create a plugin manager that a
> user  can use? If not maybe we should put it on a list of stuff as Junjor
> Job.
There is a KDE-wide widget [1]. The problem is that (for some reason) we use a
custom plugins system, meaning that it is not as easy as doing a "new
KPluginSelector". But it is also not so much work either, the biggest part
would be to edit all "desktop" files to make KPluginInfo work.

Also from what I understood, the configuration file used for KPluginSelector
is slightly different than our, it use a KConfig group, and then a key is the
plugin name, and the value is false/true, for instance, my katerc looks like
this:

[Kate Plugins]
kate_kttsd=false
katefilebrowserplugin=true

While we have something like that:
[koffice]
ColorSpaceExtensionsPlugins=krita_colorspaces_extensions
ColorSpaceExtensionsPluginsDisabled=
FlakePlugins=defaulttools,kexirelationdesignshape,textshape
FlakePluginsDisabled=divineproportionshape,vectorshape,formulashape

This would need to be changed to the KDE format. From what I know it is a
question of style.

In the end, I don't think it is GSoC material, but can be used for JJ. I would
think that for someone who knows Qt/KDE, it is no more than one week full time
work (especially with Shantanu's work on a common configuration dialog). Maybe
two if there is a hidden issue I have missed :)

The other problem we have with plugins (ie that all applications are right now
longer. But even combining them together would still be not enough for GSoC.

That said we could have a GSoC ideas: "Make Calligra applications looks good
on first run". That would be:

1) Implement the startup dialog/page as tested by Anna-Liisa (a bit more than
a month work)
2) Fix the issue in the plugin system (good plugin default, selection dialog,
and load-on-demand) (a bit less than a month work)
3) Proper layout of dockers at startup (for the remaining time)

[1] http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdelibs-
apidocs/kutils/html/classKPluginSelector.html
[2] http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdelibs-
apidocs/kdecore/html/classKPluginInfo.html

--
Cyrille Berger Skott