always rebasing when pulling...

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Jan 14 15:35:33 GMT 2011

On Friday 14 January 2011, Cyrille Berger Skott wrote:
> On Friday 14 January 2011, Cyrille Berger Skott wrote:
> > On Friday 14 January 2011, Cyrille Berger Skott wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > David Faure's git tip of the day is to add the following two lines to
> > > ~/.gitconfig :
> > >
> > > [branch]
> > > autosetuprebase = always
> > >

> > > And then everytime, you do a "git pull" it will automatically rebase
> > > instead of merge (instead of the longer "git pull --rebase"). (Haven't
> > > tested it myself).
> >
> > Hum does not seem to work actually :/ Maybe something else is needed.

That will teach us both for relaying tips from someone else without testing
them :-)

> After reading the documentation, it seems that:
>
> [branch]
> branch.master.rebase = true
>
> would work, but since you have to do it individually for each branch, I am
> not sure it is worth it.

AFAIU, the whole point of autosetuprebase=always is that you won't have to
write branch.foo.rebase=true for *future* branches that you set up.
You only have to do this for existing branches, that's why it "didn't work"
initially.