Don't show template selection ui any longer

Cyrille Berger Skott cberger at cberger.net
Fri Jan 14 10:01:07 GMT 2011

On Friday 14 January 2011, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > There already a possibility to archive that the same template is opend
> > all the  time by selecting "Always use this template". Is that not
> > enough? The the user himself can decide if he wants to always have the
> > dialog or og straight for the template of his choice.
>
> Either all Calligra applications should have the template dialog on startup
> or none. I don't think it's a good idea to introduce inconsistency here.
I agree.

> If we want to change something here, I think we shouldn't do it out of
> hand in reaction to a bug report, but after discussing it with Thomas
> Pfeiffer and figuring out what the problem really is, and what the right
> solution is.
I think the problem might be that the templates are not so good (two columns ?
studend card id in a spread sheet, really ?). Or broken (like the fax
template, professional letter), or not convenient to use (try to edit the
business letter).

An other problem is that it seems that the "always use this template checkbox"
is not known by many users, an idea to solve that problem could be to move the
checkbox near the "use that template button".

And to be really usefull for users, especially in tables/words, it should be
possible to easilly create new templates, since it is likely that the default
templates won't be so interesting. An idea might be to have fewer templates,
that are more like example of what you can do with the application. (and
integrate GHNS).

Also on a side note, that dialog is not just about templates, it is also about
opening recent documents, or any existing document.

--
Cyrille Berger Skott