release schedule proposal

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Feb 7 12:50:48 GMT 2011

On Monday 07 February 2011, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> On 7 February 2011 11:21, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:
> > On Monday 07 February 2011, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> >
> >> Extend the co-installability to the snapshots. What means Calligra not
> >> only can be co-installable with the GroupA-Office but also with the
> >> latest (or any) stable Calligra release. I see value in this and the
> >> effort at the side of packagers would be decreased.
> >> Technical means for this would be using either directory prefixes or
> >> file name prefixes.
> >
> > It will be a lot of work... I don't see the value of it, especially if it means we need to do something to every snapshot. I want to get these snapshots out as soon as possible, with minimal effort that detracts from development.
> >

> Installing to prefix shouldn't be a hack.
> Even the harder way: name prefixes is also possible to deliver once
> and then have it updated automatically. CMake offers variable
> expanding everywhere, and the values of the prefix(es) can be used in
> the .cmake config files and thus in the code.
>
> But yes, the first try would be to look at having the cointallability
> using a custom prefix like in /opt/calligra/year-month/ .

I'm horribly afraid that that would mean a user would end up with four, five or more installations of calligra in /opt -- and with path and other environment variables pointed to all of them.

Every snapshot should be an upgrade of the previous one and replace it -- just like the last snapshot should be replaced by the first real alpha release. And I'd leave it to the distributions to figure out what location would be best for their users.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.valdyas.org, http://www.krita.org