Porting code from Calligra to KWord

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Wed Feb 2 08:50:13 GMT 2011

On 2 February 2011 09:23, Cyrille Berger Skott <cberger at cberger.net> wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 February 2011, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
>> You have to copy any new copyrights too to every single relevant file
>> even if currently, after a number of commits there is no single
>> character of code by 'the other commiters'. Whis is also obligation in
>> the opposite way, so it's not our wish but requirement of the license.
> Huh ? No :) Or I did not understand what you meant.
> If you have:
> r3 by Jaroslaw
> r2 by Cyrille
> r1 by Casper
>
> at r1 file is copyrighted by Casper
> at r2 file is copyrighted by Casper, Cyrille
> at r3 file is copyrighted by Casper, Cyrille and Jaroslaw
>
> If someone takes the change at r2, it does not have to put Jaroslaw's
> copyright, only mine.

true

What I mean is this:

> at r1 file is copyrighted by Casper
> at r2 file is copyrighted by Casper, Cyrille
> at r3 file is copyrighted by Casper, Cyrille and Jaroslaw (and Jaroslaw did remove all Cyrille's code as apparently shorter solution has been found, BUT Jaroslaw did this by looking at Cyrille's code as inspiration to this change). So Cyrille's copyright remains in r3. In calligra it's already in the file in r3 of course but what I propose is to keep in mind the implicit rule: if someone applies a diff between r3 and r1 to a 3rd-party project, copyrights have to be kept even if there's no Cyrille's code in the r3-r1 diff. I know this is obvious to us now (since that was raised already in koffice times). In koffice times nobody has removed copyright with one notable exception. Just double checking so every maintainer of a given code knows that even this case is protected.

In reallity, it is not as easy, since most people forget
> to edit the copyright when making their change and add their copyright
> later... In which case it might be safer to add all copyrights.

Exactly, in the example, the merge-to-the-3rdparty project would
happen before delayed adding 'Cyrille's copyright to the r2'. In that
case it would be our fault so the only way is: let's keep own
copyright controlled before it's too late.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek