Review Request: Patch for using KoAbstractionController directly from FreOffice

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Wed Feb 2 07:55:43 GMT 2011

On 2 February 2011 08:48, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 February 2011, Pierre Stirnweiss wrote:
>> I might be missing something, but I thought we decided that in-source
>> building would not get supported in Calligra. Why is it necessary for
>> Calligra mobile?, Why the exception?
>> I think that if it is not absolutely necessary to build in source, then we
>> should drop the possibility and have only out of source build set up.
>> Especially if having the two enabled means having to change the structure of
>> the software in an sub-optimal way.
>
> The situation is a bit weird here since Calligra Mobile isn't (yet?) part of the Calligra release, so in order to make it available to Maemo users, it's built separately. There's also the backstory of the freoffice interns hacking on FreOffice as a separate project, against installed KOffice packages.
>
> I can accept the need for building Calligra Mobile outside the Calligra source tree under those circumstances. But I really think that in-source building should not be a consideration. Nobody should ever build anything inside the same directory tree as the source, having a separate build dir is much better.
>
> In my opinion, for MeeGo, packaging Calligra Mobile should be done in-tree and out-of-source, like Marijn has been doing for a long time now.

Just a though:
BTW, do we want to consider having separate git repo for the
alternative GUIs, or even one-per gui? With the current infrastructure
it's quite easy. And this could show the 3rd-parties that there APIs
allow for such development, and the code is not a monolyth.
Forking-to-learn could be then easier than forking the whole Calligra
(e.g. easier/faster merges).
This is in particular question to maemo/meego devs.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek