All to Pixmap server

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Fri Dec 30 08:42:13 GMT 2011

On 29 December 2011 21:16, Alex Fiestas <afiestas at kde.org> wrote:
>> I'm not sure that koabstraction is the right thing for what you need --
>> it's an abstraction to make it easy to create new apps that use the
>> calligra backend, that's true, but it's for viewers and other
>> interactive applications. I'd say something cstester-like is the right
>> way to go for what youneed
>

> As far as I can see all Calligra apps implement "Thumbnails" more or less,
> KoAbstraction would be the place to put a generic Thumbnail API so the code
> for cstester-converter-atopixmap can be unified don't you think ?

That's exactly how I see this. The functionality of making snapshots
(e.g. for thumbnails of any purpose) is a part of library. ctester is
an app.
We want expose features through libraries with eventually-public-API
not throug code that one could copy-paste (from ctester?)
or through executing the external (ctester) process.

This is KDE/Qt way of thinking.
Just like we use QPainter/QPixmap to perform image transformations and
we're usually not calling external imagemagick process to do the same.

>> but it's for viewers and other
>> interactive applications.

KoAbstraction is a place for supporting more use cases belonging to
the same 'family', just like QPixmap has some static methods strictly
related to abstracting pixmap operations (regardless of the memory
representation). While using KoAbstraction in a custom app I even had
a simple thumbnail abstracting code but kept it private since it was
an incomplete draft.

Even more: in ideal world, eventually, ctester would use these
features of KoAbstraction, for its own benefit.

I see that efforts driven by real use cases help to truly expand
utility libs like the KoAbstraction into right direction. Thanks,
Alex.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek