Marketing Message for Calligra

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Thu Dec 22 13:04:28 GMT 2011

On 22 December 2011 12:51, Adam C. <nospam at xibo.at> wrote:
> to me the design looks a little bit like hastily cobbled together. the
> elements are not aligned, there is no contrast and the different font types
> are fighting each other.

Thanks for the notes.
Please help to improve the alignment by pointing what exactly can be
aligned better.

If you see 2 or 3 pixels misalignment please read the entire email -
this is a mockup that even uses uselicensed graphics, btw.

There's one font used bitstream vera sans.
The content is a copy from the current web site which seems to use
bitstream vera serif but hey - this is a mockup - we do not discuss
about the body part now.

> there are to many elements, especially for
> navigation (the apps, the top right menu, device selector and the monitor).

Inge can confirm I knew that the 9-apps graphics would be found as the
weakest element because it was created for the current calligra.org
layout. Imagine a wide rectangular banner there to get the idea what's
this area about. One banner per one area (desktop/tablet/etc.)

There are 3 navigation levels, as in the well established web
standards for this type of a web site (which I repeat: is not a blog).
Compare e.g. at http://adaptivepath.com/ideas/e000103

> of course also i am not a designer, but we had some lessons in university on
> this topic, so i tried to quickly stick something together.
> http://wstaw.org/m/2011/12/22/calligrahp__.png

nice too, but I also see misalignment here and these 3 levels of navigation...

> this is far from perfect, it could use some more contrast, the fonts should
> be consistent, and the bottom news area is lifeless (could use some graphics
> there).
>
> this message is intended to be constructive, please don't feel offended or
> something.

Good, that's why we are working on that together this early!

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek