Help regarding project

Sebastian Sauer mail at dipe.org
Tue Dec 20 07:25:30 GMT 2011

On 12/20/2011 05:20 AM, Panks wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 11:05 AM, Sebastian Sauer <mail at dipe.org
> <mailto:mail at dipe.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 12/18/2011 09:33 PM, Panks wrote:
>>     Hello everyone,
>>     This is Pankaj, I am a second year CS student at Indian Institute
>>     of Technology, Madras.
>>     I am interested in contributing to Calligra.
>>
>>     While going through last year (2011) gsoc idea page I found these
>>     ideas interesting:
>>     Project: PDF-Import and/or PDF-Export AND Integrate with Akonadi
>>     for Calligra Words
>>     and Project: PSD File import/export Support for Calligra Krita
>>
>>     I would like to work upon one or more(depends on time) of these
>>     ideas.
>>     But since I am new to KDE, I would like someone to mentor/help me
>>     along with the project.
>>     So, can someone please help me along with?
>>
>>     Credentials: I have knowledge of C++ and Qt.
>>

>     and hello Pankaj,
>
>     I would be willing to mentor you on getting a PDF-Import filter
>     for Calligra Words done. I am available in our irc-channel
>     #calligra (on irc://irc.freenode.net/calligra - use e.g. the
>     "Konversation" application to connect to IRC) as "sebsauer".
>
>     First steps would be;
>     1. Build Calligra yourself from the sources. See
>     http://community.kde.org/Calligra/Building
>     2. Get a KDE git-account to commit work you do. See
>     http://techbase.kde.org/Contribute/Get_a_Contributor_Account
>     3. Get familar with the area where the work will happen. That is
>     the filter-framework. We are going to write a filter-plugin that
>     reads PDF-files using the poppler library and then generating
>     OpenDocument ODF. The filter-framework will take care of all the
>     things around including passing the resulting ODT-file on to
>     Calligra Words so it's loaded+displayed and the user can edit+save.
>
>     For point 3 you may like to have a look at;
>     * in our sources at the Text-file importer located at
>     calligra/filters/words/ascii/AsciiImport.cpp to have an idea how a
>     filter looks like.
>     * at the poppler-library. For that install libpoppler (if not
>     already installed cause it's a pretty standard-library used by
>     applications like Okular to display PDF-files). There look at the
>     header-files to have an idea how the API looks like.
>
>     Once those initial steps are done we would create an initial
>     filter skeleton for the PDF-import filter. We could basically copy
>     the AsciiFilter linked above over and 1) change the CMakeLists.txt
>     to link against libpoppler and 2) change the desktop file so we
>     take PDF-files as input and not text-files like the text-filter
>     does and 3) start to use the libpoppler-API to evaluate the
>     PDF-document.
>
>     So much for the start :-)
>
> /
>
> /
> First of all thanks a lot for mentoring this project. :-)
> I am done with step 1 & 2 and in step 3 I am going through the code of
> [...]

Very great. Lot of thanks for sharing your progress. For poppler you may
like to have a look at http://people.freedesktop.org/~aacid/docs/qt4/
and for implementations using it
http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/okular-devel/2011-May/009429.html (
http://quickgit.kde.org/index.php?p=okular.git&a=summary ).

For the initial skeleton what means the very first code to start a
PDF-importer with I could provide some helping hands to get it done. We
could start with creating a branch in our git and add a
calligra/filters/words/pdfimport directory and then copy over the
Ascii-filter + rename + adapt the CMakeLists.txt + link against
libpoppler and create the first lines of code that use libpoppler to
have a look first code that extracts content from a PDF and writes it
into a ODT. You can ping me at IRC or write a mail to get started on
this :-)